I’ve seen some posts making this guilt trip of how the people who like to dress up as a sugar skull or the Catrina for halloween or whatever is racist and cultural appropriation.
Nah, it’s completely fine, as long as you are not totally ignorant about it or disrespectful.
Sugar skull represents the deceased, in a joyful manner. And the Catrina is just a social critic which became an icon later on for the day of the dead and Mexico.
It is not offensive to turn this into a costume or an accessory because it already is, so if you want to dress up like sugar skulls on Halloween, do so, but at least know it’s value.
Be open minded, don’t even hate, and share this rich culture we have with the rest of humanity, chill.
This post is about that eradicating guilt trip and blaming, and turn it into self awareness
reasons why halloween is the best holiday:
- you are not obliged to visit your relatives
- you are not obliged to get gifts for anyone
- people will give you candy for absolutely no reason other than halloween
- its the only day when its socially acceptable to go out in public dressed like a penguin
5. no one will look at you funny when you buy eighteen boxes of candy even though you fully intend to sit in the dark and eat them alone.
6. discount candy
Me every autumn equinox
Autumn in NYC